Makes: 4 servings
Prep Time: 4 hours - Overnight
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Carolina 'Nana Pudding
7 large bananas (firm with a touch of green)
6 fresh eggs
4 cups whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
Dash of nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp. Grand Marinier
1 box vanilla wafers
1 pint whipping cream
1 tbsp. sugar
9x12 Pyrex dish
- In the top of a double boiler, beat the eggs lightly.
- B lend in 1/4 cup of the sugar, the salt, and all of the milk.
- In a large saucepan, cook over boiling water, stirring until the mixture coats a metal spoon.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the liquor.
- Set the bowl aside to cool.
- In the bottom of a Pyrex dish, arrange the vanilla wafers in an overlapping pattern.
- Top this layer with 1/4-inch banana slices.
- Cover the bananas with a layer of custard, repeat cookies and bananas, repeat and then repeat again with the custard as the final (top) layer.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours, but overnight is better.
- Just before serving, whip the cream with the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar and spread the whipped cream over the pudding.
Recipe courtesy of Rick Browne, www.barbecueamerica.com